Service as Action
One of our key aims is to develop caring members of society who make a positive difference to the lives of others.
To achieve this goal, we help our MYP students participate in Service as Action. This is a core component of the IB Middle Years Programme and is woven into the programme throughout the five years it’s studied.
Why is Service as Action Important?
- Provides students with opportunities for helping the school, and local and international communities.
- Helps students apply academic, personal and social skills to improve communities.
- Develops an awareness of how to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
- Encourages responsible citizenship by increasing a student’s understanding of the world.
- Allows each student to discover new skills, talents and interests.
- Helps students to develop as leaders who take initiative.
The Community Project for Grade 8 Students
The Community Project is an important piece of work for students aged 13 and 14 which takes place over a significant period of the school year.
The project gives students an opportunity to understand the needs of various communities and use what they’ve learnt in class to have a practical, positive impact on people’s lives.
Importantly, the Community Project develops skills such as decision making, problem solving and effective communication, and helps students to acquire an in-depth knowledge of their chosen subject.