Primary Years Curriculum
Students are encouraged to become: inquirers, thinkers, communicators, risk-takers, and to be knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded, balanced and reflective. They develop these attributes within the classroom, during Town Meetings (assemblies), in the playground, and while participating in Southbank’s many extracurricular activities.
The PYP is all about inquiry: the process through which a learner moves from his or her current level of understanding to a new and deeper level. Our students will be:
- Exploring, wondering and questioning
- Collecting data and reporting findings
- Taking and defending a position
- Using critical thinking skills to understand a concept
- Making and testing theories
- Experimenting and playing with possibilities
- Solving problems in a variety of ways
By using inquiry-based learning, the PYP engages and challenges students who have many diverse perspectives, values, cultural backgrounds, and languages. Southbank is committed to a developmental approach. This means that students may progress through the programme at different rates.